If you're thinking about installing a security system in your home or business, you probably have questions. Maybe you don't even know where to begin. Here's an outline of what you need to start thinking about when putting together your system.
1. How Many Cameras You Want
This is the first issue that you need to address. It may be as few as 1 or it may be as many as 16. Most people end up somewhere in the middle. You need to think about what you need surveillance on and what you want surveillance on.
2. Hard-wired Vs. Wireless Vs. Self-Contained
Here are the basic differences:
- Hard-wired cameras will have a physical cable running between them and your DVR. They do not require local power. They are powered through the same cable as the video.
- Wireless cameras will transmit the video wirelessly to your DVR. Each wireless camera comes with a receiver. This receiver is what connects to your DVR. Wireless cameras will require local power. You have to be able to plug them in where they are at.
- Self contained cameras record to themselves. They have the DVR built inside of the device already. Some require local power while some do not. They do no use an external DVR as they record to themselves using built-in memory.
3. Do You Want People to See That You Have Cameras
There are essentially two different kinds of installations as far as this goes. Some people want others to see their cameras and some people do not. This parallels if you want to prevent something from happening or catch it happening.
If you don't want anyone to know you're doing surveillance, you'll want to go with the hidden cameras
. If you don't mind if people see your cameras, then you'll want to go with security cameras
Hopefully this helps get you going on the right track. Remember that we're here to help and answer any questions you might have.