CCTV footage made available to the media yesterday shows the moment a Territory mother is alleged to have thrown her baby on to a concrete footpath.
Yesterday, the NT News told how a Darwin court lifted a suppression order on the film but refused to release it even though it was played in an open court last week.
It is alleged that the footage from the Palmerston bus exchange shows a woman throwing her 10-month-old baby on the ground after her partner left on a bus without her.
The woman - who cannot be named to protect the identity of the baby - pleaded not guilty to recklessly endangering serious harm to the child in Darwin Magistrates Court on Friday.
It is alleged she was drunk and had been arguing with her partner when she threw the baby.
In a police interview played to the court, she said she was "wild" with her partner and wanted to go home when she "dropped" the baby before others she was drinking with tried to take him away from her in May last year. Police found her and arrested her a little later.
Journalists from three media outlets sat in court while the video was played, but it was not until Friday afternoon and the video had been approved to be released that Dr Lowndes made an order suppressing its publication.
He closed the court while submissions were made on the suppression orders, and again when he gave his reasons for the orders.
He also closed the court while a lawyer representing the NT News argued for the orders to be revoked on Monday morning.
On Monday afternoon the NT News was told the footage would not be released.
But yesterday morning - after the story had been published - the video was released for publication and was made available to all media.
The woman's hearing will continue in June.
Article source here